Friday, December 11, 2009

The Long Overdue Update

It's been so long since my last post that I hardly know where to begin . . .

First, and most importantly, Kaden is an extremely charming, happy and adorable 17 month old. He LOVES to laugh and play more than anyone I've ever known and is slowly showing me the ropes of stay-at-home motherhood.

Kaden's palate was repaired by Dr. Court Cutting at NYU back in June. Of course there were complications that kept us in the hospital longer than expected. In short, Kaden's body doesn't like antibiotics because they give him antibiotic induced colitis, a condition that would bring a grown man to his knees. So yes, we had another intense hospital stay. Thankfully, Kaden made it through and once again proved to all of us that he's the toughest little guy in the world.

Unfortunately, Kaden's progress in other areas has been quite a bit slower than we hoped. He's not yet walking but he recently started standing up on his own (holding on to furniture) and loves to be on his feet. It appeared at our last appointment with the orthopedic surgeon that his scoliosis is progressing and it's possible he'll need a cast or brace in the near future. Although I sincerely dread the thought of putting him through another drawn out and possibly painful medical process, we are of course prepared to do whatever is necessary.

He's getting weekly physical therapy as well as speech and feeding therapy -- still has absolutely no appetite -- and will likely start occupational therapy in the near future. I would be lying if I said that I don't worry about his delays, but he's shown me so many times that he's a lionhearted fighter. I believe with every fiber of my being that he's going to be okay. He's happy and healthy and that's more important than anything else in the world.

Since it seems to take me months to compose new posts (how is it that I have less time now than when I had a job!!!???), HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

1 comment:

Joy Howse said...

Thanks for the update on your adorable Kaden! As a stay at home mom of 3 I understand the lack of time. I do pray that Kaden will continue to surpise you with his progress in all areas. I am sure you is a major sense of joy for all of those around him. Hoping you and the entire family have a wonderful Christmas!